Migration Locked

Communication with Schools

District Communication Protocols

School District 8 - Kootenay Lake believes that trusting relationships and open communication are important. Administrative Procedure 310.A reflects our collaborative approach to resoliving concerns or complaints. All concerns should be addressed. If you feel that you cannot approach the individual involved, please contact your school principal, or the Kootenay Lake District Parents’ Advisory Council (DPAC) for assistance.

View Policy 310: Code of Conduct

Download SD8 Communication Protocols

DPAC Parent Advocacy Support

The Kootenay Lake District Parent Advisory Committee (DPAC) also provides support services to help parents and students dealing with issues at school. Learn more about  Advocacy: Parents Helping Parents

Ministry Student Appeals Branch

Ministry support for parents: Student Disputes & Appeals Website

Migrate Status: 

BC Digital Classroom & Resources

Open School Resources

Open School BC Website
Varies: Kindergarten - Grade 12

WorkBC Parent's Guide

Looking for resources to help your students with their career planning? The 2018 WorkBC Parents‘ Guide is an invaluable resource to help you start a conversation with your students about education and training pathways. Full of practical ideas, exercises and resources, the guide will help you talk with your students so they can follow their passion and create the career of their choice. For additional ideas, exercises and resources see the Resources for Counsellors, Teachers & Parents page of the WorkBC website.

Junior Achievement BC

Junior Achievement BC Programs for Schools (JABC) brings a variety of financial literacy, work readiness, and entrepreneurship training courses into elementary, middle and secondary school classrooms across B.C. These training programs support competencies in the province’s new Applied Design, Skills and Technologies curriculum. Please contact Junior Achievement BC for more information or to enroll your class in one of their courses.

National Film Board of Canada

The National Film Board of Canada Collection includes documentaries, animations, experimental films, fiction and interactive works. We showcase films that take a stand on issues of global importance that matter to Canadians—stories about the environment, human rights, international conflict, the arts and more.

Access now

Migrate Status: 

Registration & Transfers

Student Registration Form

SD8 Kootenay Lake is pleased to welcome all students to our schools and invites registration for 2022-2023.

To align with BC’s Changing Curriculum and our commitment to student choice, the SD8 Board of Education has amended its Policy to streamline and simplify student transfer and registration processes.

Students are welcome to register in their catchment area schools at any time.

Transfer request forms are now also available: 2022-2023 Transfer Request Form

For registration in your catchment area school:

  • We encourage parents of students who will be attending Kindergarten in the 2022-2023 school year to register their children as early as possible.
  • We welcome students who wish to register at their neighborhood (catchment area) school, but who currently attend an independent school or other non-SD8 Kootenay Lake program and encourage them to register as soon as possible.

To register, please fill out the 2022-2023 registration form and return it to the catchment school clerical.

For students who plan to attend a school that is not in their catchment area:

  • Transfer forms & Registrations will be accepted from January 4, 2022 to March 25, 2022 at 4:00 PM.
  • Transfer forms only need to be completed by students transferring to a school that is not in their catchment area;
  • To be considered for the September 4, 2022 start day, Student Transfer forms must be received by March 25, 2022 at 4:00 pm; the completed form must be sent to your catchment school for principal’s signature, catchment principal will send the form to requested school clerical
  • All transfer requests received by this date will be considered for the 2022-2023 school year and families will be notified prior to the end of the school year;
  • Student Transfers received after the March 25, 2022 deadline will not be considered until after September 9, 2022 (first Friday after school starts);
  • NOTE: Student transfer forms are no longer required for students who have been attending an out of catchment school or an independent school, but who wish to attend their “in catchment” school for 2022-2023.  However, registration forms and applicable information will be required; 
  • Out of catchment Students wishing to attend a school, where their sibling attends, will be prioritized before other “out of catchment” students wishing to attend.

Frequently Asked Questions

When is a Student Transfer Required?

When a Student is transferring from their “Catchment School” or are from out of District (if wanting to attend a school not in their catchment)

Who is considered a “Legal Guardian”?

A parent (with whom the child lives) or a person that is appointed as such by Court Order (a copy of the Court Order must be attached to the Transfer form)

Do I need a Transfer form if a sibling has been accepted at the “Out of Catchment” School?

Yes, a Transfer form is required and Section 2.6 of Policy 410 will apply.

Do I need a Transfer form for Programs of Choice and what Programs are considered Programs of Choice?

Yes, a Transfer form is required. French Immersion, AVID, Atlas, Sequoia, Summit and Valhalla Wilderness are considered Programs of Choice.

Do I need a Transfer form for DESK and Homelinks?

Yes, a Transfer form is required.

Will bussing be provided to Students who are attending a School “Out of Catchment”?

Bussing will only be provided if space is available on regular routes and bussing fees will apply. Parents should contact the Transportation Coordinator for further details at
250-354-4871 ext. 204.

Who advises the Parent of the decision?

Staff from “School requested” to contact parent of approval or denial.

Is a Student Transfer form required for Kindergarten Students?

If the Student is registering “Out of Catchment” then a Transfer form is required along with the Registration form and required documentation.


Migrate Status: