School District 8 – Kootenay Lake is in full swing
On this Labour Day, School District 8 would like to take the opportunity to recognize all the hard work that our employees undertake within the district. Our staff are one of our greatest assets. Their dedication and hard work to create and foster positive learning environments are what makes K-12 Education possible. Through their labours, the children of the Kootenay Lake School District are able to strive for greatness and achieve their potential as the future of Canada. Thank you School District 8 Employees for all your hard work!
Tuesday, September 4th is back to school for all School District 8 – Kootenay Lake students. Throughout the District, at all of our schools, students will be reuniting with friends, orienting in new classrooms and attending welcome back assemblies.
First day jitters abound, we want to ensure all of our students come prepared on the first day and are returned safely home again. Instructional hours on Tuesday, September 4th include early dismissal times, with student bus transportation operating three hours early. Bell times vary at individual schools.
A reminder to parents and drivers that with schools back in full swing, this also means busy playgrounds and our yellow busses back on the road. Slow down and follow speed limits, watching for children walking, cycling and crossing the street. School zone speed limits will be in effect. Also, a friendly reminder to yield to school busses and give them the right of way as they merge back into traffic.
What to watch for in 2018-2019:
- With so many new improvements in the works for 2018-2019, School District 8 – Kootenay Lake is geared up for an exciting and positive school year.
- With the new BC Curriculum K-9 already in schools, the Grade 10 curriculum will launch this September
- Updates to the new Graduation program
- New Graduation Literacy Assessment field testing in November 2018
- Increased use of myBlueprint: e-portfolio platform for teachers and students
- Aboriginal Education: Implementation of BC’s new Tripartite Education Framework Agreement
- Ongoing participation in review of the Education Funding Model
- Board Trustee Election – October 2018
For more information:
Dr. Christine Perkins, Superintendent/Chief Executive Officer