District/Authority Scholarships are offered by the BC Ministry of Education to recognize graduating BC students for excellence in their chosen areas of interest and strength. The scholarships are intendend to help students pursue post-secondary education.
The Ministry will allocate 5500 awards distributed across school districts and independent school authorities that recognize graduating BC students for excellence in their chosen aread of interest or strength. The award is a $1250 voucher that can be used twoard post-secondary education tuition.
Scholarships Applications Administered by School District 8 Kootenay Lake
Braganolo Bursary Application
David Thompson Art Award Application
Georgia Ethel McKeown Bursary Application
Kootenay Area Skilled Trades Award Application
Application deadline: Wednesday, April 7, 2021 (4:00 pm PST)
Spring 2021 Presentation Dates: May 4, 5 and 6, 2021
To earn a scholarship, students must apply and:
- Meet the basic eligibility requirements
- Meet criteria determined by the local scholarship committee, which requires a student to demonstrate outstanding achievement in any ONE of the following areas:
- Indigenous Language & Culture -Demonstrated at school or in the community
- Fine Arts (e.g. Visual Arts, Drama, Music)
- Applied Design, Skills, & Technology (e.g. Business, Technology, Home Economics, Information Communication Technology, Technology Education)
- Physical Activity (e.g. Athletics, Dance, Gymnastics, not limited to Physical Education)
- International Language - International Languages Curriculum or External Assessments, including AP and IB courses
- Community Service (Volunteer Activity) which includes demonstration of local and global issues and intercultural awareness
- Technical & Trades Training (e.g. Carpentry, Automotive, Woodwork, Mechanics, Cook Training)
3. Fulfill the B.C. graduation requirements of either the Graduation Program or the Adult Graduation Program by August 31st of your graduating year.
Other Scholarship Opportunities
Crawford Bay - June 18, 2021
J.V. Humphries - June 25, 2021
L.V. Rogers - June 10 and 11, 2021
Mt. Sentinel - TBD
Creston Valley Secondary - June 11, 2021
Salmo Secondary - June 12, 2021
BC Excellence Scholarships
Application Deadline is February 15, 2021.
There are 55 BC Excellence Scholarships available to recognize well-rounded B.C. graduates. Winners will have demonstrated service and leadership, both at school and in their communities, and shown aptitude and commitment to their chosen career paths. They will receive a $5000 voucher to use for post-secondary tuition.
For nomination information, eligibility requirements, evaluation information, and how to apply, please visit the BC Excellence Scholarships webpage.
To claim School District 8 scholarship awards email a letter of request to Penny Bush, Accounting Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org and include a program acceptance letter at post-secondary school, tuition receipts and a social insurance number (If you prefer you can call in your SIN to the confidential voice mail 250 505 7049).