District/Authority Scholarships are offered by the BC Ministry of Education to recognize graduating BC students for excellence in their chosen areas of interest and strength. The scholarships are intended to help students pursue post-secondary education.
The Ministry will allocate 5500 awards distributed across school districts and independent school authorities that recognize graduating BC students for excellence in their chosen areas of interest or strength. The award is a $1250 voucher that can be used toward post-secondary education tuition.
Scholarship Information Night (Students/Families): Overview of Scholarship Process - November 3, 2022 6pm - 7pm PST - via Zoom
Scholarship Information Night (Students/Families): Overview - What to expect during adjudication - April 6, 2023 6pm - 7pm PST - via Zoom
Scholarships Applications Administered by School District 8 Kootenay Lake
Bill Arishenkoff Trades Scholarship Application
Bragagnolo Bursary Application
David Thompson Art Award Application
Dr. Christine Perkins and Michael Perkins Fine Arts Award
Dr. Christine Perkins Human Rights Award
Georgia Ethel McKeown Bursary Application
Kootenay Area Skilled Trades Award Application
District Application deadline: Friday, April 14, 2023 (4:00 pm PST)
(Schools will be setting their own application deadlines)
Spring 2023 Presentation/Adjudication Dates: May 8, 9, 10, 11, 2023 (all day - times will be PST)
To earn a scholarship, students must apply and:
- Meet the basic eligibility requirements
- Meet criteria determined by the local scholarship committee, which requires a student to demonstrate outstanding achievement in any ONE of the following areas:
- Indigenous Language & Culture -Demonstrated at school or in the community
- Fine Arts (e.g. Visual Arts, Drama, Music)
- Applied Design, Skills, & Technology (e.g. Business, Technology, Home Economics, Information Communication Technology, Technology Education)
- Physical Activity (e.g. Athletics, Dance, Gymnastics, not limited to Physical Education)
- International Language - International Languages Curriculum or External Assessments, including AP and IB courses
- Community Service (Volunteer Activity) which includes demonstration of local and global issues and intercultural awareness
- Technical & Trades Training (e.g. Carpentry, Automotive, Woodwork, Mechanics, Cook Training)
3. Fulfill the B.C. graduation requirements of either the Graduation Program or the Adult Graduation Program by August 31st of your graduating year.
Other Scholarship Opportunities
Crawford Bay - TBD
J.V. Humphries - TBD
L.V. Rogers - June 9, 2023
Mt. Sentinel - June 23, 2023
Kootenay River Secondary - June 16, 2023
Salmo Secondary - TBD
Homelinks Creston - TBD
BC Excellence Scholarships
Application Deadline is February 2023.
There are 55 BC Excellence Scholarships available to recognize well-rounded B.C. graduates. Winners will have demonstrated service and leadership, both at school and in their communities, and shown aptitude and commitment to their chosen career paths. They will receive a $5000 voucher to use for post-secondary tuition.
For nomination information, eligibility requirements, evaluation information, and how to apply, please visit the BC Excellence Scholarships webpage.
Claiming your Scholarship
If you have any questions or concerns with respect to your District Authority Scholarship voucher, please contact the Ministry of Education here.
To claim School District 8 scholarship awards email a letter of request to Penny Bush, Accounting Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org and include a program acceptance letter at post-secondary school, tuition receipts and a social insurance number (If you prefer you can call in your SIN to the confidential voice mail 250 505 7049).