There are 5500 District/Authority Scholarships distributed across school districts and independent school authorities that recognize graduating B.C. students for excellence in their chosen area of interest or strength. Winners receive a $1250 scholarship voucher to use towards their post-secondary tuition.
• We receive our allocation in March, based on number of grads.
District Scholarship Application 2019/2020
- Meet the basic eligibility requirements
- Meet criteria determined by the local scholarship committee, which requires a student to demonstrate outstanding achievement in any ONE of the following areas:
- Indigenous Language & Culture - Example: Demonstrated at school or in the community
- Fine Arts - Example: Visual Arts, Drama, Music
- Applied Design, Skills, & Technology - Example: Business, Technology, Home Economics, Information Communication Technology, Technology Education
- Physical Activity - Example: Athletics, Dance, Gymnastics, not limited to Physical Education
- International Language - Example: International Languages Curriculum or External Assessments, including AP and IB courses
- Community Service (Volunteer Activity) - Example: Includes awareness of local, global, & cultural issues
- Technical & Trades Training - Example: Carpentry, Automotive, Mechanics, Cook Training
3. Fulfill the B.C. graduation requirements of either the Graduation Program or the Adult Graduation Program by August 31st of your graduating year.
Application deadline: Thursday, April 30, 2020
District Scholarship presentations will take place on May 12 and May 13, 2020 via Zoom this year. Once the application deadline has closed we will work with counselors to coordinate zoom presentation times with students.
Crawford Bay - June 19, 2020
J.V. Humphries - June 20, 2020
L.V. Rogers - June 12, 2020
Mt. Sentinel - June 19, 2020
Prince Charles - June 12, 2020
Salmo Secondary - June 13, 2020
BC Excellence Scholarships
The 2019/2020 BC Excellence Scholarship Application is now available online.
Application Deadline is February 28, 2020.
There are 55 BC Excellence Scholarships available to recognize well-rounded B.C. graduates. Winners will have demonstrated service and leadership, both at school and in their communities, and shown aptitude and commitment to their chosen career paths. They will receive a $5000 scholarship voucher to use for post-secondary tuition.
Nomination and Application
1. You must be nominated by your secondary school in order to apply for this scholarship. Only one student from each school may be nominated. Please inquire at your school if you would like to be considered for nomination. You must confirm your nomination by having your school principal sign and date the BC Excellence Nomination Form.
2. Complete the Application. The application includes a written statement worth 60% overall, and the resume worth 40% overall. It must be completed online in the mandatory format. Scoring guides are available for reference. Incomplete applications will not be accepted.
3. Completed applications must be submitted to the Ministry no later than February 28, 2020.
4. Selection of winners will be finalized after August 31, 2020.
5. Applications can be found at here: BC Excellence Scholarship.
Meet basic eligibility requirements
Be in their graduation year with graduation to occur by August 31 of the school year in which they are nominated
Be eligible for a B.C. Certificate of Graduation (Dogwood Diploma) and fulfill graduation requirements of the B.C. Graduation Program (2019) by August 31, 2020.
Have at least a:
"B" (73% or above) in their Language Arts 11 final mark
"B" average in final course marks that fulfill graduation requirements of Science 11 or 12, Math 11 and Social Studies 11 or 12, with no more than one "C+" (67% or above) final course mark, (marks lower than “C+” are not accepted)
Maintain a “B” average or better in Grades 11 and 12 final course marks required for graduation
You cannot win both a BC Excellence Scholarship and a Pathway to Teacher Education Scholarship.
Your application must include:
- Resume in the mandatory format
- Two reference letters, one from your community and one from your school
- A written statement, maximum 500 words, which must describe: o What led you to your most relevant community service, volunteer activity, and/or leadership role, and:
- What you learned from this experience, and
- How this experience will benefit you in your chosen career path.
Conditional winners and their schools will be notified by email in May. Winners will be notified directly in September when eligibility is confirmed. They must redeem their voucher within 5 years of graduation. Expiry dates are shown on the vouchers.
The District also awards the following scholarships:
A.I Collinson Spirit Bursary
David Thompson Art Award
Georgia Ethel McKeown Bursary
Get High on Nature Scholarship
Yellowhead Road & Bridge Award
Kootenay Area Skilled Trades Award