SD8 Kootenay Lake is pleased to welcome all students to our schools and invites registration for 2020-2021.
To align with BC’s Changing Curriculum and our commitment to student choice, the SD8 Board of Education has amended its Policy to streamline and simplify student transfer and registration processes.
Students are welcome to register in their catchment area schools at any time.
Transfer request forms are now also available: 2020-2021 Transfer Request Form
For registration in your catchment area school:
- We encourage parents of students who will be attending Kindergarten in the 2020-2021 school year to register their children as early as possible;
- We welcome students who wish to register at their neighbourhood (catchment area) school, but who currently attend an independent school or other non-SD8 Kootenay Lake program, and encourage them to register as soon as possible.
To register, please fill out the 2020-2021 registration form and return it to the catchment school clerical/secretary.
For students who plan to attend a school that is not in their catchment area:
- Transfer forms & Registrations will be accepted from January 6, 2020 to April 30, 2020 at 4:00 PM.
- Transfer forms only need to be completed by students transferring to a school that is not in their catchment area;
- The deadline to receive Student Transfer forms is April 30, 2020 at 4:00 pm; the completed form must be sent to your catchment school for principal’s signature, catchment principal will send the form to requested school clerical/secretary.
- All transfer requests received by this date will be considered for the 2020-2021 school year and families will be notified prior to the end of the school year;
- Student Transfers received after the April 30, 2020 deadline will not be considered until after September 11th, 2020 (first Friday after school starts);
- NOTE: Student transfer forms are no longer required for students who have been attending an out of catchment school or an independent school, but who wish to attend their “in catchment” school for 2020-2021. However, registration forms and applicable information will be required;
- Out of catchment Students wishing to attend a school, where their sibling attends, will be prioritized before other “out of catchment” students wishing to attend.
Frequently Asked Questions
When is a Student Transfer Required?
- When a Student is transferring from their “Catchment School” or are from out of District (if wanting to attend a school not in their catchment)
Who is considered a “Legal Guardian”?
- A parent (with whom the child lives) or a person that is appointed as such by Court Order (a copy of the Court Order must be attached to the Transfer form)
Do I need a Transfer form if a sibling has been accepted at the “Out of Catchment” School?
- Yes, a Transfer form is required and Section 2.6 of Policy 410 will apply.
Do I need a Transfer form for Programs of Choice and what Programs are considered Programs of Choice?
- Yes, a Transfer form is required. French Immersion, AVID, Atlas, Sequoia, Summit and Valhalla Wilderness are considered Programs of Choice.
Do I need a Transfer form for Elev8 Programs: DESK and Homelinks?
- Yes, a Transfer form is required.
Will bussing be provided to Students who are attending a School “Out of Catchment”?
- Bussing will only be provided if space is available on regular routes and bussing fees will apply. Parents should contact the Transportation Coordinator for further details at 250-354-4871 ext. 204.
Who advises the Parent of the decision?
- Staff from “School requested” to contact parent of approval or denial.
Is a Student Transfer form required for Kindergarten Students?
- If the Student is registering “Out of Catchment” then a Transfer form is required along with the Registration form and required documentation.