SD8 Kootenay Lake is pleased to welcome all students to our schools and invites registration for 2018-2019
To align with BC’s Changing Curriculum and our commitment to student choice, the SD8 Board of Education has amended its Policy to streamline and simplify student transfer and registration processes.
Students are welcome to register in their catchment area schools at any time.
The deadline for Student transfer requests from students who do not reside in a school’s catchment area was March 31, 2018. Transfer requests received after the March 31, 2018 deadline will not be considered until after September 7, 2018 (the first Friday after school starts). This will ensure that schools are able to attend to the needs of in catchment and currently registered students before welcoming additional out of catchment area students. If you have submitted a Transfer request after the deadline date, your child MUST attend their catchment school in September. You will be notified of the decision after September 7, 2018.
For registration in your catchment area school:
- We encourage parents of students who will be attending Kindergarten in the 2018-2019 school year to register their children as early as possible;
- We welcome students who wish to register at their neighbourhood (catchment area) school, but who currently attend an independent school or other non-SD8 Kootenay Lake program, and encourage them to register as soon as possible.
For students who plan to attend a school that is not in their catchment area:
- Transfer forms only need to be completed by students transferring to a school that is not in their catchment area;
- The deadline to receive Student Transfer forms is March 29, 2018;
- All transfer requests received by this date will be considered for the 2018-2019 school year and families will be notified prior to the end of the school year;
- Student Transfers received after the March 29, 2018 deadline will not be considered until after September 7th, 2018 (first Friday after school starts);
- NOTE: Student transfer forms are no longer required for students who have been attending an out of catchment school or an independent school, but who wish to attend their “in catchment” school for 2018-2019. However, registration forms and applicable information will be required;
- Out of catchment Students wishing to attend a school, where their sibling attends, will be prioritized before other “out of catchment” students wishing to attend.